Search

August 27, 2012

The Life of the Writer

The world of writing is a world that I have only recently stepped into. I've always been much better at english than math, but I never realized just how important writing is for me until about 18 months ago. I follow a lot of bloggers that talk about writing (See 12 Lessons Learned from 12 Years of Writing, and The Practice of Writing for more). They always talk about writing as if it's this giant mountain of lifestyle choices and early, isolated mornings with multiple cups of coffee; that writing is something that "writers" can't NOT do. For "writers," getting published is a life-long dream, critiques are heart breaking-- but don't let them get you down!, and your "writing time" is a coveted, sacred part of your day that must be kept clear and without interruption. A stereotype for a "writer's" blog is the concept of "Write, write, write. Write the inspired, write the crap. The only way to get better is to write for those 10,000 hours and keep up the uphill battle." I've heard that message so many times, it hurts to even type this post.

But there must be more advice to be had than the stereotypical "don't give up" speech.



I officially became a "writer" February of last year. I can craft a sentence, sketch a poem, pound out a scene, and, in small form, I can do what every other writer does (even though I still haven't produced anything worth sharing larger than 5000 words), which is to Write. According to almost every other experienced, published, professional, paycheck-earning writer, I am doing the right thing. I keep practicing, keep growing, stay committed, stay focused.

But, for me, writing isn't like breathing. I could quit at any time without injury.

It's not like an uphill battle that must be won by conquering each and every bad writing day.

I don't care about getting published-- that's what my blog is for.

It doesn't affect me at all that no one has read my work.

But yet, I am a writer. I have written. I am writing. I will write. And that's all a writer is. I personally prefer Dictionary.com's third and fifth definition of the word 'writer'-- one who commits his/her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing, and a person who writes, or is able to write. My writing isn't paying the bills. It doesn't have to.

If I get up tomorrow without the willpower to write, I won't. I shall rebel against every stereotyped blog post on the writer's lifestyle, and I won't write. I won't open my Scrivener file. I won't open my Blogger account. I won't even touch a pen. If I don't feel like writing, I won't. Does that disqualify me from begin a writer? No.

Being a writer (at least for me) has never (in 18 months) been about finishing, or getting published, or becoming a "writer" with early mornings, coffee/tea, a houseful of cats, and coveted moments bent over a computer. It's never been about self-discipline, or writing groups (even though mine is AWESOME), or even trying to get better. It's not even been a hobby for me. I have plenty of other hobbies.

Writing is about putting my emotions on paper. Writing is about expression. Writing is art. I believe in the muse (God. duh). I believe in that practice makes perfect-- but who cares about perfect? It's the process. It's always about the process. It's about the message. Full-time writers can keep their word goals and morning coffee. I'm sticking to what makes me happy. Right now, in this moment. It's about expression. It's about love. It's about the process of letting go of your feelings, saying goodbye to brokenness, embracing the wholeness, and writing.

No comments :

Post a Comment